My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

My name is Valeri . This blog is devoted to our daily lives as adoptive parents to our son. Our blog details our ups and downs in our crazy adoption process as well as our daily adventures as first time parents. We received Jensen on May 21, 2007 and our lives couldn't be any sweeter!!!!!!

Friday, May 18, 2007

Impressions of Guangzhou

Guangzhou is a massive city. Our guides told us that there are nearly 10 million people who live here. It is truly a booming area. I can't believe how westernized this place is. I guess I bought into the stereotypes of China that every part of it was poor and run down.I should know better then to fall into the trappings of stereotypes, for pete's sake! I'm and ESL teacher! The Guangdong province is actually one of the wealthier provinces our guide Rebecca told us yesterday. There are some things that make one feel like home here: there's a Papa John's, a McDonald's, a KFC, a 7-11 across from our hotel, and even a Starbucks close to our hotel. Even our hotel The White Swan has an American style breakfast buffet. One can get anything imaginable there to eat. Ron is happy because he is eating well and has not gotten sick from anything yet.
We met our other guide David today. He is just as wonderfully nice as Rebecca was yesterday. He took us on a shopping trip today to a store called Carrefour. I guess you could describe Carrefour as a Wal-Mart type of store. We bought a few more items like bottled water (20 cents for 1.5 liters....how cheap!), extra diapers (a lady gave us a coupon for 10 off a massive package), a couple of snacks like Pringles and an extra mouthwash. I went to give David a tip for helping us today and he refused it. I hope that I did not offend him in any way. I worry about cultural differences like that.
By the way...yesterday we exchanged $100.00 American dollars and we got 760 in Yuan. The exchange rate is great. It amazes me how far our money goes here.
We also found out today that we will get Jensen on Monday at 4:00 PM. I am one psyched Mama-to-be!!!!

6 Comments:

Blogger Rosie said...

Well if we end up in your Province and we know we can get a MacDonalds..if our money runs out..though it sounds as if it won't.
Its amazing that the same shops are everywhere in the world.

2:27 AM  
Blogger mskajlc said...

Guangzhou is definitely not the poverty that you see in other Provinces. We really enjoyed walking around Shamian Island. There is a place called Dannys Bagels that will deliver to your hotel room. We didnt eat from there but several people have said they are very good.
It wont be long now.. bring on Jensen!

5:14 AM  
Blogger Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

Mike is so worried about eating there. I am trying to tell him that there is McDonalds etc me, I am willing to be a little more adventurous (sp?). Can't wait for Monday... makes you think... What Jensen is doing right now? Then knowing that in a few short days he is going to be part of a family forever... chills... I am excited... (Mike laughed Ron when you sent the channel for ESPN)...

5:53 AM  
Blogger Mom 2 six said...

Soak it all in !!
China is amazing no matter where you are.

5:58 AM  
Blogger S to the Power of SIX!!! said...

We ate everything there, but KFC, McDonalds, Lucy's, etc... and didn't get sick. DO NOT be afraid of eating from the JM Chef right down the street from the White Swan. They have Awesome food!!

PS-I Loved the breakfast buffet at the White Swan. That was great.

6:11 AM  
Blogger OziMum said...

Woohoo! Bring on Monday!

LOL! My hubs keeps saying that China is one of the wealthiest countries in the world, and that I'll get a rude shock when I find it's all "metro-like"! I do agree that the major cities will be, but alot of people go to smaller rural provinces, where the folks aren't quite so forutnate!

Sounds like you guys have settled in quite well!

10:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home